Annual Refresher Course
HSE strongly recommends that first-aiders undertake annual refresher training during any three-year FAW/EFAW certification period. Although not mandatory, this will help qualified first-aiders maintain their basic skills and keep up-to-date with any changes to first-aid procedures.
Employers should also ensure they are complying with regulation 13 of the Health and Safety Management Regulations 1999, which has a requirement to ensure adequate time is set aside during the working day to undertake any first-aid training employees receive.
The HSE Suggested course content which should take 3 hours in which the HSE also strongly recommends that practical elements of the course should be assessed by direct observation, to ensure the competence of candidate, although HSE does not specify the design of these courses
- Assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency.
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious (including seizure).
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding.
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock.
Your own First Aid needs assessment will also indicate other subjects which might form part of your annual refresher training.
If you can not do the practical elements then Online interactive training is the next best thing.